Iglesia y Parque de Santa Lucía
Construction of the Iglesia de Santa Lucía began at the end of the XVIth century and ended in 1620. It is characterized by its rectangular entrance framed in quarry, stained-glass window and a belfry.
The atrium operated as a graveyard until 1821. In the 1950’s Yucatecan artist Torre Gamboa painted a mural that depicts the torment of Santa Lucía.
In front of the church is the park that bears the same name but that is also called Parque de los Héroes. During Spanish dominion this space housed a brotherhood devoted to taking care of the sick. The park was created in 1804 by official decree. The bright and colorful square was formed and its characteristic arches constructed.The floor of the square is composed of English bricks and at the center of the plaza there is an obelisk dedicated to General Sebastián Molas.
The park honors Yucatecan trova (ballad) musicians and each Thursday this poetic colonial corner turns into a stage for the traditional Serenata Yucateca (Yucatecan Serenade) during which famous trios of troubadours and the Orquesta Típica Yucalpetén interpret immortal melodies by local composers.
It is located on Calle 60 by 55, Downtown.
Iglesia de Santa Ana
In 1729 then Governor and Field Marshal Antonio de Figueroa y Silva, nicknamed “El Manco” (one-armed), had the temple of Santa Ana constructed—presumably over the foundation of a pre-Columbian Mayan edification—on the site of the former open chapel. It was completed in 1733 but this building’s promoter never got to see it, for death surpised him in the state’s eastern jungle after facing succesfully pirates from Belize. A stone plaque on the façade, with an inscription in old Spanish, indicates that his mortal remains lie there.
It is located on Calle 60, between 45 and 47, Downtown.
Parque y Mercado de Santa Ana
Tranquil and calm, ideal for shelter from the sun under the trees and to enjoy the fresh breeze on starry nights. The small Santa Ana square, that emerged as vertex for a prehispanic Mayan settlement, tries to keep the city’s transformations at bay. Modest neighbourhood of craftsmen and day laborers. During colonial times it grew quickly after the plan for a roadway that started in Plaza Grande, later its own temple was built.
Santa Ana Park also has a tale to tell: during the first years of the XVIIth century, Antonio de Figueroa y Silva, Governor and Field Marshal of Yucatán, had a straight street laid out from the Palacio Episcopal (Ateneo building) leadinf north; it was embellished by two stonework arches (demolished in XIXth century). This meant that the outlook for Santa Ana neighbourhood suffered a radical change: accelerated development.
Today, tianguis (street markets), crafts and food exhibitions are constantly held in the esplanade of the park of Santa Ana. The market offers outstanding regional food all day long and it is a must for guests of the city.